Monday, June 20, 2011

A Heart like David's



FAITH AND BELIEVING IN THE LAST DAYS

Chapter 5

A HEART LIKE DAVID'S

Genesis 6:5 Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

If we choose to believe the validity of the above passage, what was great about man and what were the intentions of the thoughts of his heart?

Wickedness and evil continually.

So apparently, from Gods perspective, man has a heart problem.

Its interesting that Jesus would compare our heart with treasure…
Matthew 6:21 "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

What is treasure?
It is the place in which good and precious things are collected.

Your heart, my heart contains what is most important to us.
And when it comes to being a Christian, it is vital for us to be aware of what our heart contains as we do not want any idols or anything that would pollute or corrupt our heart.
So how can we find out what we really treasure?
By allowing God to examine our heart.

Like David once said in Psalm 139:23-24
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Find me out God, lets get personal. I want you to explore and examine every inch of the deepest innermost parts of my heart.
God, become intimately acquainted with me.
Try me, and know my anxieties;
Test and prove me God, see if I really do trust and place my hope in you.
24 And see if there is any wicked way in me,
Observe and watch me closely God, see if there is any idol lurking in any dark corners of my heart.
and lead me in the way everlasting.
Continually guide me, encourage me, scrutinize and discipline me in the journey of unending pure fellowship with you.

Now THAT is a heart that is after God.
Think about it.

God destroys every living person on the face of the earth, except for 8 people, because all man could think about in his heart was evil continually. Think the condition of mankind’s heart changed after the flood? Do you think that David didn’t know what he was actually asking God to do? Do you think that David thought that he would get off easy?
Take a look at what God says about mankind’s heart after the flood. Genesis 8:21 The LORD smelled the soothing aroma; and the LORD said to Himself, I will never again curse the ground on account of man, for the intent of man's heart is evil from his youth; and I will never again destroy every living thing, as I have done.

God will no longer punish the sin of mans heart by punishing the heart of the man who sins. 
God has punished all of sin by punishing one man. 
The God Man, Jesus, the Christ. 
God crushed His heart and not yours, should you put your trust in Him. 
Psalm 22:14 I am poured out like water, And all my bones are out of joint; My heart is like wax; It is melted within me.
When was the last time that you felt your heart to be like a thin candlestick with a blow torch being held to it?
Remember the feeling of an empty heart?
The time when that one person that you poured yourself into turned their back on you and dumped you like you were a piece of worthless garbage? Remember that feeling? That’s the feeling of a heart that is like wax, that’s the feeling of a heart that is melted within you.

Have you read Psalm 22 lately? Jot the reference down now and go to it later and read it after you have examined your own heart for a little while. Or, maybe do it now…
The idea of all of this is David allowed God complete and total access to his heart, while being fully aware of his own sinful state, fully aware that God would find evil and repulsive things, and fully aware that there was no Jesus to take his place, yet fully aware of Gods love for Him.

I hope you can feel Gods gentle finger on your heart right now.
I hope you can feel His presence.
I hope you will allow Him complete and total access to all that your heart contains.

David had a heart that was not just willing to allow God entrance, but a heart that was willing to be examined under the microscope of the Holy Spirit. Are you?

Is it really possible to have full assurance and peace if you are willing to allow God to fully and completely examine your heart?
David was fully confident that no matter what God found in his heart, God would always lead him in the way that is everlasting.
If God were to examine your heart, would you be confident of this very thing?

God says that David was a man after His own heart.
It’s interesting that “after” means, in pursuit and in search of and behind in place or order.
It is obvious that David spent most of his life searching and perusing after God. It is also obvious that David, even though his struggles are told through out the Old Testament, tried his best to put his own heart behind Gods heart, desires and will, in Gods protection.
How could David do this seemingly impossible thing?

By knowing that his treasure was buried deep within Gods own heart…

Where is your treasure?
Is it safe and secure or is it great danger of being stolen and used for purposes of which you never planned…

1 comment:

  1. Many thought and heart searching questions? God is thorough in examination, isn't HE? No wonder most people and even Christians do not want God to examine them....
    Thanks Hon for your insight into His Word and then asking hard ?'s
    Love you,
    Me

    ReplyDelete